Monday, October 17, 2016

"Meal Plan"


"Meal Plan"

I knew exactly what I was going to do when I found the noodles.  I have this fascination for replacing or redefining what we know of food or consumption.  This piece speaks on how we play with food or how we organize it.  The noodles are now contained.  Noodles are not even a tame kind of meal...well, we normally pair noodles with sauces.  Pasta is an easily messy meal.  Secondly, I took food and made it into art.  It could speak on world hunger or commodity.  It's like double commodity.  As humans, we have taken food and put a price on it.  We think it is our decision on who and who cannot eat.  We act like eating should be worked for.  We turned a basic human need into a privelege.  We even put a price on water or healthy sources of water.  I took something that has been taken out of it's natural state and remodeled it's purpose once again.  I also took food and turned it into something that could be hung on a wall.  I took food, which could be used to feed someone, and turned it into decoration.  It's pretty but probably unnecessary.  This piece is deep without my having even tried to do so.  Another aspect is how the food went from one container (probably a bag or box that it was bought in) and into another form of a container.  The food is never free.  Does food want to be free?  What does it mean for food to be free?  Is it free to be eaten or left alone?  The food is being used for something other than physical consumption.  It is being used for mental or emotional consumption.  Frames are used to hold photographs.  Photographs are taken to remind us of certain memories that we enjoyed.  I took food and made it into a memory.  Is it a memory if I never enjoyed the food?  Or is it a visual enjoyment?  I took the food and turned it into a photograph.  I turned food into something I want to remember when we normally consume the food and the taste is gone after each bite.  When we eat and use the restroom, the existence of the food is gone, other than the fats or nutrients it might have left behind.  I stored away the memory or existence of this food. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the detailed narrative to support this simple yet striking assemblage. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete