Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Artist Residency - Padre Island National Seashore

I chose to look into a residency near Corpus Christi/Padre Island. In the Padre Island National Seashore Artist in Residence program, artists who are selected will be in residency for up to 3 months. 

They are surrounded by nature such as the Padre Island seashore which allows them to find inspiration within the elements. 

The ultimate goal of this residency is to push artist to become further in touch with the natural world and to encourage them to partake in the conservation of our seashores. 

The participants have the option to stay at a campsite or stay on the beach! Which I thought would be super cool but personally I'd rather be at the campsite so I had easy access to the facilities and things. That's just me. 

It also stated that the artist can bring along one guest to accompany them which I thought was cool too! That may be an option for all residencies, or most, but it would be an easier way for a couple, best friends, or any other form of partnership to experience nature and art together. 

For each month the participants stay they must donate 1 piece of art.

Overall, this residency seems something more realistic to me. I enjoy nature and wouldn't want to stray too far from home if I were every to consider this. I also like the options in the length of stay so you aren't obligated to stay 3 months or something if you don't want to. I am interested to hear about the other residency's people have chosen! I included a photo I took from Padre Island on one of my trips down there. It was getting raining and I really enjoyed the look of the sky in contrast to the beach!

Marisa Rodriguez - South Padre Island 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment