Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Public Art Proposal - Hang in Houston

During this course, I was most inspired by Christo and Jean Claude’s public works. Their use of fabric with the landscape is unexpected, and it creates a serene public art piece. My idea is inspired by both the saffron yellow gates in Central Park and the temporary Umbrella installations in both Japan and California. I would like to emulate this idea of the scattered pieces but instead, use red hammocks.




This idea would be site specific to the University of Houston behind the Art and Architecture buildings. I have chosen this site because of the foliage and open greenery. It is not uncommon to see students sleeping outside beneath the trees near the fountain on the other side of campus, this idea would allow for more outdoor spaces for students to relax in between classes while incorporating Christo and Jean Claude’s technique of fabric and nature.




This idea was also inspired by James Turrell Skyspace at Rice University. While visiting the skyspace this past weekend I was jealous that Rice had a peaceful place for students to go in between classes to unwind. I hope my piece invites students, who are cooped up in their studios or in the library, outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment