Monday, November 14, 2016

Junk Art

I've been working on this for months. I call it the BASTARDSTAFF (Always spelled in all-caps).


It runs Sonic Pi on a Raspberry Pi controlled by an Arduino Micro controlled by eight keys and an as-yet undetermined number of buttons and knobs, all mounted on a random scrap of wood I found. It is composed of a mish-mash of parts I bought from EPO and Radioshack, along with others I salvaged from old electronic equipment.


When completed, the eight keys will grant access to at least ninety-nine possible tones spanning user selectable scales of between three and and ninety-nine notes-per-octave. Other controls will allow me to control volume, tempo, instrument type, filters, and who knows what else. Pressing the green button tells it to start looping the button-picked riff.



Please excuse the bad mirror selfie. A junk artist's mantra is 'Never use what you don't have access to.' In my case that includes a tripod-compatible camera. 


And of course it would never be complete without a turtle skull with illuminated eyes as a prow ornament.

-JG

No comments:

Post a Comment