Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Public Art Proposal - MiniMurals

For my public art proposal I chose the Houston MiniMurals project going on which was graciously presented to me by our fellow colleague Liia. :)

The Houston MiniMural program is a reproduction of a similar program started in Emeryville, California where artists painted traffic utility signal boxes.  This idea was brought to Houston in 2015 and culminated by the UP Art Studio, Houston Art Alliance, the Mayor's Office for Cultural Affairs, and of course City of Houston Public Works.  Originally, the plans were smaller scale, spanning Houston's District K, and including 13 chosen artists.  The widespread popularity and overall acceptance of the colorful traffic signal boxes called for more and more areas of Houston wanting their own taste of public art.

Here are some examples of current MiniMurals in the greater Houston area.

For my public art proposal I would like to create a minimural of my own, in the neighborhood I currently live in which borders 3rd Ward.  I would like to create a mural that is respondent to the environment and people surrounding it.  For that reason I would like to create a piece that speaks and perhaps uplifts those who see it.  I would like to spray paint a quote by Marcus Garvey wrapping around the signal box.  

"A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots."

Here is a very rough preliminary sketch of what I was envisioning for my signal box:



My desired budget is no more than $1000 and I would like my piece to be on the corner of MLK and OST. 

No comments:

Post a Comment