Tuesday, September 6, 2016


Grandma Mary's 90th Birthday Card

I took this opportunity to send my Grandmother a card as she turned 90 years old last week. I was looking through photos and came across one which I had taken years ago in Austin (my grandmother is a proud Texas lady), and I decided to use yellow and green sharpies to colorize the photo. I painted some watercolor resist paper that had a scalloped pattern to create a beautiful and sparkling yellow and green backing to my postcard. I had wanted to incorporate a 3D aspect to my card, my grandmother has trouble reading and I thought she might enjoy something more tactilely interesting. With that thought in mind I used a fabric tape along the two longer sides, glued the phrase "shine brighter" on, and glued on a yellow gemstone in the center of the sun. 

On the backside of the postcard I wrote her a little note, put her address clearly written at the bottom, and left room for the stamp in the top right corner. 

-kiki

No comments:

Post a Comment